Spark! Workbook 1
Series: Spark ! Wordbank
Author: Haynes, B
Publisher: Actual Enterprises
Publication Date: 2004
Description: This series connects words and pictures, spoken and written language, and everyday and school-based language - to activate basic English literacy and numeracy for students of all ages. Particularly suitable for adults arriving in an English speaking country with little or no English reading and writing skills. e.g. asylum seekers.
Wordbank gives a selection of the most frequent & useful language items in topic areas (e.g. people, activities, food, transport). The Workbook activities are easy for the teacher to set up & facilitate self-directed learning. Spark! also provides clearly focused instructional language. Each Workbook stands alone & each can be an ideal entry point.
• Can be used for mixed ages, mixed abilities, ESL, beginning literacy and special needs students.
• Gives clear and systematic scaffolding.
• Links communicative tasks with literacy and numeracy.
• Moves from everyday language and concepts to what is required across the curriculum.
• Provides clearly focused instructional language.
• Recycles previous work to build students' awareness of overall language networks.