Focus on Vocabulary Learning explores teaching vocabulary to second and foreign language learners aged 5-18. It describes the considerable challenges of learning the vocabulary of a new language from a range of perspectives, and aims to equip teachers with practical solutions to meet these challenges. This book provides corpus-informed insights into teaching the vocabulary that is most useful to learners, and examines classroom based research to identify effective learning strategies. A rich var....
[show more]iety of practical activities and examples from real classrooms link theory to practice.
• Examples taken from real classroom practice and key research studies
• Research relevant to English language learners aged 5-18
• Additional online resources at www.oup.com/elt/teachers/fovl
This book is part of the Oxford Key Concepts for the Language Classroom series, focusing on key topics for teaching English as a second or foreign language to learners aged 5-18. These instructional guides are informed by research in second language acquisition and language pdeagogy, and show the relevance of theory to the practicing teacher.
• 'Spotlight studies' highlighting important research.
• 'Classroom snapshots' show different teaching approaches in practice.
• 'Activities' help you make connections between research and theory and your classroom context.
Suitable for students working towards MA TESOL, graduate certificates, or diploma qualifications, and for practising teachers' professional development programs.