This book is about how to teach English as a second language and how second language students learn. With Communicative Language Teaching (CLT) at its centre, it takes a practical approach to second language teaching backed up by clearly explained theory. Presenting eight essential principles across twelve chapters, the book covers Learner Autonomy, Social Learning, Integrated Curriculum, Meaning, Diversity, Thinking Skills, Alternative Assessment and Teacher Co-learning, and shows how technolog....
[show more]y and reflective teaching can be used to support and enhance these essentials in the classroom. Combining theory and practice, Essentials for Successful English Language Teaching explains how these principles interweave and support each other within the CLT paradigm, demonstrating why they are best implemented as a whole, rather than one at a time.
Now revised and brought fully up to date, this new edition includes:
- A brand new chapter covering technology and cooperation in teaching practice and how they support CLT-based activities
- Vignettes for each essential principle to consolidate theory and demonstrate best practice
- Updated real world examples, drawing on teaching experiences from North America, Africa and Asia
Taking a 'big picture' view that assumes no prior knowledge of linguistics or language education, Essentials for Successful English Language Teaching is an energising and fun guide for language practitioners.
List of Figures
List of Tables
Preface to Second Edition
About the Authors
1. Essentials For Successful English Language Teaching
2. Encourage Learner Autonomy
3. Emphasize the Social Nature of Learning
4. Develop Curricular Integration
5. Focus on Meaning
6. Celebrate Diversity
7. Expand Thinking Skills
8. Utilize Alternative Assessment Methods
9. Promote English Language Teachers as Co-L....
10. The Eight Essentials Facilitated With Technology And Cooperation
11. English Language Education: The Essentials