Understanding Teenagers in the ELT Classroom is a textbook full of lesson ideas, exercises and tips for teaching English as a foreign language to teenage students.
Understanding Teenagers in the ELT Classroom is not so interested in telling you how to do the job of teaching English to teenagers, but instead focuses on exploring the underlying principles and factors which might make or break an activity or a lesson.
It provides reflection that will be of value when you are sitt....
[show more]ing at home thinking over why one of your classes is not going the way that you want or when you have seen a really good teaching idea at a conference but are wondering how to make it work in your own class.
Each chapter follows the same pattern:
• The first part begins with a discussion of a certain facet of teaching teens. It will identify key issues and outline situations the author has experienced in his own teaching, and also draw upon writers and trainers who have played a role in his own development.
• In the second part of each chapter, practical applications, the discussion will take a more practical turn and will outline some classroom applications and techniques.
• Each chapter will then end with three summary sections. The questions for reflection box may serve as summary to the chapter or as prompts for exchanging ideas where the chapter is being used in a training setting.
Understanding Teenagers in the ELT Classroom is suitable for all teachers of English language who work with teenage students.
About the author
1. A closer look at classes, teachers and students
2. Planning lessons with teenagers
3. Classroom micromechanics
4. Task design and instructions
5. Group dynamics and order
6. Affect: speaking positively to our students with care
7. Logistical questions: homework, L1 and seating
8. Tidy learning, messy learning and simple clutter
9. Autonomy and student-fronted classes
10. Teenagers and te....
12. Repetition, assimilation, memorisation
13. Remembering irregular verbs
14. Movement and space
15. Getting them talking
16. Listening and reading
17. Grammar and writing
18. Using video clips in the classroom
20. Testing, exams and report writing
21. Techniques for teaching low-level teens
22. Awareness and reasoning with teenagers
23. Control of the class
24. Classroom management strategies
Why teach teens?